Sunday, June 12, 2011

Just Finished Reading...

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
After a slow start and several distractions I finally finished this book! 

Despite my troubles getting through it, I really enjoyed reading it. I feel most of my problems stemmed from the fact that the last book by Bryson I read was In a Sunburned Country, which I read just before leaving for Australia to study there for a semester. The book therefore took on an entirely different meaning for me than this one did, since I was soon headed for the very places he was describing. I didn't feel that connection with this book, having no immediate plans to go hike the Appalachian Trail. After reading this, however I'm feeling pretty inspired to head out into the wild and take on the "AT" myself. Hey, if Bill Bryson can do it, why not? I think this is what I love most about travelogues: they not only inspire me to want to see the world, but they also act as a stand-in, a way to see the world through another person's eyes and let you experience new and interesting places from the comfort of your own living room sofa.

No comments:

Post a Comment