Thursday, May 5, 2011

Just Finished Reading...

101 Dalmatians by Dodie Smith, Illustrated by Michael Dooling
So I'm a 22-year-old reading a children's book, don't judge me!

I'm sure you're all pretty familiar with this story from its Disney and movie versions. Pongo and Missus have puppies who get snatched by the evil Cruella DeVil (best name for a villain or what??) and they head off across miles of English countryside to get their puppies back.... and then end up with a few more pups than bargained for.


This book was amazing. It was super charming, with human owners being referred to as "pets" and a brilliantly painted picture of canine communication. Also there was a subtle hat-tipping to the fact that art is better than television, (which we all knew to be true, anyway) and a surprising twist as to who the 101st Dalmatian is. I'm not giving it away, but I will admit that I was most of the way through the end before I added up the math and realized there was someone missing. Hey, it's been a rough semester, that's why I'm reading 101 Dalmatians and not something that requires intense contemplation. Having said that, the language in this book is pretty sophisticated and has a really subtle humor that I love, but I don't actually think small children would get it. I also have one small issue with how the book treats women... or female dogs. Poor Missis is just a dumb, pretty face who can't tell her left from her right or understand very many human words, or count. She does have some shining and uplifting moments, but mostly she's just the Mom and the Trophy Wife, not the clever hero that Pongo is. Maybe I'm reading a little too deeply into this...


Regardless, this was a wonderful book and I absolutely recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment