Monday, May 30, 2011

Just Finished Reading...

Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block
Reading Tithe really made me want to read Weetzie Bat, which is one of my all-time favorite books. Although this book does not contain any faeries, it is a lot like a fairy tale, and it does have a genie. It even has a Happily-Ever-After ending. The book is about finding wonder in the ordinary, about losing things and people you love, the search for security in an unstable world and the beautiful and terrible nature of love. 

As far as girly teen novels go, this is probably one of the best ever written, and I'm not just saying that because I recently finished a less admirable teen novel. Francesca Lia Block is really an extraordinary writer. Weetzie Bat reads like a fairy tale about a glorious, rich world. But the world is our ordinary one and it's filled with pain and heartbreak the way the real world is. I feel like every time I read this book I take something new and different from it, which is a rare find in teen novels.

It's hard to explain the plot, but since it's only about 100 pages, double spaced, size 18pt. font; I recommend you just read it for yourself. It can be finished easily in a few hours while laying in the grass on a sunny afternoon, like today… what I'm trying to say here is: get out there and read something!

No comments:

Post a Comment